Programming languages, frameworks, databases
- Comfortable using Backbone.js, Ruby on Rails, Phoenix
- Some experience with Python, React/Redux, OTP
- Very comfortable using MySQL, PostgreSQL
General web development
- Practiced in test-driven development, comfortable with frameworks such as Jest, Jasmine, and RSpec
- Experienced implementing whole-site redesigns and new features and interactivity based on low-fidelity mockups and conversations with designers and site users
- I enjoy collaborating on user experience improvements and concerns with designers during planning stages of site design and features
- Comfortable using version control systems to collaborate with other developers
- Strong attention to W3C standards, browser independence, user accessibility, as well as code efficiency
- I particularly enjoy creating and dissecting regular expressions
Developer at Wolfgang's Vault (San Francisco, California)October 2007 – July 2011Lead developer for several WordPress and MediaWiki sites, as well as a custom legacy site built in Perl and Python. Implemented complete redesigns and new features based on low-fidelity mockups for these sites. Migrated a site from a proprietary CMS to a fully customized WordPress installation. Operations support for a production Linux web server. Constructed all consumer-facing email and implemented several design changes to email templates. Served as technical liason to contracted email delivery service. Other tools used: Subversion (code versioning).
Webmaster at Oberlin College Library System (Oberlin, Ohio)November 2002 – August 2003; September 2005 – June 2007Lead developer of the websites of the college's four libraries. Maintained and updated custom database-backed web applications and static-content pages as needed. Maintained and debugged Ajax applications with MySQL backends. Implemented a redesign of the Library System's main page. Completed a virtual tour project started by the prior webmaster.
Developer, Administrator, Founder of Oberwiki — The Oberlin WikiAugust 2004 – presentDeployed and maintained an installation of MediaWiki. Created custom plugins and enabled third-party extensions to add features, increase usability, and prevent automated spam. Built a custom theme based on mockups designed by a user. Oberwiki is one of the first and still one of the largest wikis related to higher education, and has consistently seen thousands of visitors per month since 2009.
Education / Certification
Certified ScrumMaster®May 2016
Oberlin College (Oberlin, Ohio)Bachelor's, May 2007BA in East Asian Studies, concentrating on Chinese language and literature.
- My family is not named after self-replicating code; the code is named after my grandfather.
- I have been typing in Dvorak (a non-QWERTY keyboard layout) since 2003.
- I'm a lover of human languages as well: I'm conversant and literate in Mandarin Chinese, was fluent in French in high school and could scrape by in Italian, can transliterate Cyrillic and some Arabic. My "to tackle next" list is Arabic, Swahili, and Lojban.
- I'm an avid photographer, both film and digital, and particularly fond of long (multi-hour) exposures and piecing together wide panoramas.
- I enjoy etymology, eagerly-hyphenated compound modifiers, and the serial comma.
References and letters of recommendation
- Available on request