I am looking for an endeavor which impacts people's lives in a meaningful way, so that I can be proud to tell others what I do for a living.
I want to continue using and learning new techniques and best practices in front-end and back-end software development, making use of tests, continuous deployment, pairing, and other techniques when appropriate.
I plan to continue contributing to open-source projects as a way of giving back to the software community which has helped me for so long.
- Familiar with formal Agile development (have worked with Pivotal Labs and completed Scrum Alliance training)
- Very experienced collaborating with designers to explore customer requirements and draft specifications
- Comfortable leading a team to implement well-specified features in feedback-informed development cycles
Programming languages, frameworks, databases
- Comfortable using relational databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL) and related APIs as well as GraphQL
- Comfortable using back-ends such as Ruby & Rails, Elixir & Phoenix
General web development
- Familiar with SEO best practices (and wary of "experts")
- Strong attention to W3C standards, browser independence, user accessibility, as well as code efficiency
- Practiced in test-driven development; comfortable with integration (Cypress) and unit (Jest, Jasmine, and RSpec) frameworks
- Very comfortable using version control systems (Git) to collaborate with other developers
Applications Architect: 2022–presentWarner Brothers Discovery (Atlanta, Georgia)Planning and executing a multi-year project to retire and replace the 15-year-old 'monolith' tech stack powering Bleacher Report's content.
Lead Front-End Engineer: 2015–2022
Senior Front-End Engineer: 2014–2015
Developer: 2007–2011Wolfgang's Vault (San Francisco, California)Lead developer for several WordPress and MediaWiki sites, as well as a custom legacy site built in Perl and Python. Implemented complete redesigns and new features based on low-fidelity mockups for these sites. Migrated a site from a proprietary CMS to a fully customized WordPress installation. Operations support for a production Linux web server. Constructed all consumer-facing email and implemented several design changes to email templates. Served as technical liason to contracted email delivery service. Other tools used: Subversion (code versioning), XSLTs.
Webmaster: 2002–2003, 2005–2007Oberlin College Library System (Oberlin, Ohio)Maintained and updated custom database-backed web applications and static-content pages as needed for the college's four libraries. Maintained and debugged Ajax applications with MySQL backends. Implemented a redesign of the Library System's main page. Completed a virtual tour project started by the prior webmaster.
Education / Certification
Bachelor of Arts, East Asian Studies2007, Oberlin College (Oberlin, Ohio)Concentration: Mandarin Chinese language and literature
- I've formally studied Mandarin Chinese, French, Italian, and Russian, and research Lojban grammar in my spare time.
- I'm an avid photographer, both film and digital, and particularly fond of long (multi-hour) exposures and piecing together wide panoramas in a real darkroom.
- I enjoy etymology, eagerly-hyphenated compound modifiers, and the serial comma.
- I write (code, this resume, etc.) with NeoVim, and have been using a Dvorak keyboard layout (e.g. non-QWERTY) since 2003.